Friday, December 17, 2010

WHAT A PRESENT

Twas a snowy evening, with ice everywhere
I had just settled down to my warm rocking chair

Out my windows a clear view and oh what a sight
For the last birds feeding before it turned night
With feeders and heated waterers filled to the brink
Ready for birds to come take a drink
Soon came juncos, a cardinal and a mockingbird too
They were trying for perfect spots with a clear view
Then I heard it before I saw it, the flap of its wings
Everything scattered and flew, some with screams,
A pileated woodpecker swooped in for some feed
By his cautiousness you could see he was in need
First to the left, then the right to see if all was clear
His head moved so sharply to see what was near
Then he saw me, I knew it, he started to fly
But the feed before him was his Christmas pie
So he chanced it, he went for a cashew, then two
And with one sharp turn he suddenly flew

Now, what should I ask for that was better somehow?
Than a visit from Santa the woodpecker,   wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment